Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Spaghetti Squash: A Healthy Alternative to Spaghetti

A friend of mine recently let me in on the secret of spaghetti squash after her grandmother gave her a slew of fresh squash from her garden. She gave me a squash and encouraged me to give it a try (to be honest I thought it would rot along with the bananas I always purchase and never get around to eating.)

I felt a little adventurous tonight and wanted to create a healthier substitution to Spaghetti so I decided to give it a try! I love to make new things, and besides the first time I made deviled eggs (they ended up burnt - don't ask) my new culinary creations somehow turn out pretty great.



So here goes, my new favorite noodle - Spaghetti Squash!

Ingredients

  • 1 whole spaghetti squash
  • 1 jar of spaghetti sauce 
     Optional:
  • 1/4 cup of extra-virgin olive oil
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Onions
     Preparation time: 2 Minutes
     Cook Time:
  • Microwave: 9 Minutes
  • Oven: 30-40 Minutes

Directions:
Cut the Squash in Half

It may be a little hard, but nothing you can't handle!

Scrape Out the Seeds and Guts 
It will be just like gutting your pumpkin at Halloween, just without the fun carvings after. 


Prepare the Squash
Next, you may leave it plain or season it as you wish. I would recommend to simply use olive oil, salt and pepper. There are also two ways you can make it:
  • For the Simple: Microwave
    • Face the half squash upside-down on a microwave safe plate (ceramic or glass) then heat for 9 minutes. (If your microwave cooks faster than others, it could be useful to check at 6-7 minutes to see if the insides have softened to noodles yet.)

  • For the Less-Simple: Oven
    • Heat your oven to 450 degrees F. Line oven tray with aluminum foil. Next, place the squash upside down on the baking sheet and once the oven is preheated, bake for 30 to 40 minutes until fully cooked. Remove from oven and let cool until it is ready to handle.
Noodles are Ready!
Once your squash is cool enough, take a spoon or fork and scrape the noodles from the squash onto your plate! 




To complete your Spaghetti Squash, add your choice of cooked spaghetti sauce (I used Prego Italian Sausage and Garlic) then add any extra vegetables you would like (I added fresh onions). 



Finally, your dish is complete. Garnish as you wish, serve and dive in! (Don't forget to pair with a delicious veggie of your choosing.)

The final product in my opinion is delicious, it is definitely not your average noodle. I would highly recommend this dish for an easy home-made dinner. 

For nutrition information, see here:

There are many different easy, healthier alternatives out there for your favorite meals, you just need to look. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or Pinterest for more great health, nutrition and fitness tips - or even more great recipes!

Feel free to comment below and let me know if you have any questions or comments!


No comments:

Post a Comment